Tuesday, December 20, 2011

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is shaking and the wheel jerks?

Ok, so I bought my first car yesterday (a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 142,000 miles). It has some problems but was running fine until tonight.





Earlier today I had the oil changed and the guy at the place said I should also get my transmission fluid changed (as it was mostly water) and also get my radiator flushed as that hadn't been done or something.





Well about an hour or two a go I went to fill up the tank for the first time (that was fun... owch at 60ish dollars for half a tank, lol... trucks are fun) and it was raining pretty heavily. I had read in the manual that in rain I should put it on "4 wheel drive part time" (the Jeep has something called a SELEC TRACK) so while stopped I put it down to that mode.





I tryed to put it in drive and drive away, but to my sadness the jeeps engine growled and it started moving oddly, the wheel fighting my hands to be free and basically being out of control. I put it back into two wheel drive, and the problem remained (this is when I knew I was in deep doo-doo). I did my darndest to get it parked somewhere (it fighting me and lurching and not wanting to accelerate the whole way to the parking spot) and called my brother in law, who knows a lot about cars and such.





He couldn't figure exactly what was wrong, but he was able to get it to a mechanic and park it there for the night until tomorrow. The way he got the Jeep under control was to put it in 2 wheel drive and drive around in second gear at low to medium speed (it didn't do much of the aforementioned problems in this state, though the car shook more then it should have).





My question is, does anyone have any clue what happened? My brother in law thinks it could be the fact that my transmission fluid is mostly water, and since I went into 4 wheel drive I screwed it up (something along those lines, I SUCK at car stuff), but he was only openly saying a possibility. I don't have much money, and this worries me that the car I bought is a lemon :-(|||That would do it since there should be NO water in the transmission...the reason you have transmission fluid...Also, I would say the the mechanic you originally took it to is Highly suspect...Shady Mechanics will screw up your car to bring more business...Take it to a dealership ??? Real mechanic will perform only the work you ask them for...When they solicite other work..they are normally trying to rip you off. Good Luck|||drain the tranny fluid,drive around,50 or so miles,change it again.and see if there still water in it.they make a tranny adddive when u change second time put the addivt in it.let me know how it gos,and that dude is right take to a jeep dealer.|||I'd take it back to them and say whats up with all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment