Saturday, December 24, 2011

2002 Trailblazer Front Wheels Not Engaging for 4 Wheel Drive?

Hi all, I think I know the problem with this, but I'd be interested in hearing your opinions. I've talked to people on Chevy forums as well as read some of the other answers, and it's helped narrow it down, but there are still some things that puzzle me, so here goes:





I've noticed in icy conditions that my front wheels don't engage for 4wd. The electronic control seems to be working fine... the light tells me it's in 2HI, 4HI, 4LO, etc. with no problems. No flashing lights, no prolonged time period to get there, etc.





Everyone seems to think it's the actuator, but if the actuator was bad, wouldn't the lights be flashing?





It sounds like the transfer case itself is working when I shift into the different options (2H, 4H, 4L) but no power to the front wheels. I'd hate to spend $60 on a part that isn't bad and still have the problem. Another friend said it could be a vacuum issue, but he didn't know unless he got under there and checked it out.





Any thoughts???|||Are you sure the front wheels arn't engaging?? Im sure you can look out and see the left front wheel but the right front could be turning as the front differential is not positive trac. If the actuator wasn't working correctly, then you would have some type of indication of this through either the driver information center or the lights on the switch itself. If your sure that neither wheel is engaging, then you probably have a broken shift fork which is the lever that the actuator actually moves, this would occur without the vehicle actually knowing there is a problem. And FYI, a standard diagnostic charge at a local gm dealer would be less than the price of the actuator and then you would have a definate answer. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment