Saturday, December 24, 2011

97 jeep grand cherokee,how to shift to 4x4?

I do not have the owners manual and want to make Shure I do not screw it up shifting when I should not.I do not know what type of transmission it has.


I have part time 4 wheel,4 wheel HI %26amp; low.


Thanks for your time.|||My Grand Cherokee is the same as yours. It's constant 4 x 4 but to put it in low range you have to be stationary, then select Neutral. Take a Hold of the Low Range Selector and put it all the way back into the Lo position. You'll hear it go into Detent. Then you can select forward on your main shift as normal.|||Definately be under 5mph, or better, at a complete stop. Bump your transmission into Neutral and shift to 4wd HI. Low is only for crawling.





some Jeep transfer cases are "on the fly" meaning you are supposed to be able to change them while moving (under 55mph some say). I've done this in a Cherokee and in my Wrangler, but if at all possible, slower is better.





If you ever pull the lever and it grinds...put it back down right away!


The only time it ever grinded for me is if I tried to put it in low while still rolling. Going into 4 HI never made it grind at any speed.|||come to a complete stop put ur gear shifter in neutral pull the 4x4 lever back then put in drive and go then reverse those steps to go to 2wd

No comments:

Post a Comment